Finally, there has been some good news about the state of the Japanese border closure for almost all tourists. The ban on tourists due to the outbreak of COVID-19 has been in effect since April 2020, and for a long time, there has been no clear timeline on when the borders of Japan would be reopening again for tourism. But now this has finally changed. Since October 11th, 2022, people who travel from countries with a former visa-waiver agreement with Japan have been able to travel to Japan freely again! There are only a few rules to keep in mind.
When Visa Free Travel to Japan
Since October 11, 2022, tourists from countries in the visa waiver program have been able to enter Japan visa-free again. Click here for a list of countries that are part of Japan’s visa waiver program.
The only anti-COVID measure that is still in place is the need for either proof of vaccination (3 vaccinations) OR proof of a negative PCR test taken less than 72 hours before entering Japan.
Book your beautiful Japan trip for beyond. We specialize in small group tours that really let you experience Japan in a relaxed, meaningful way., for the beautiful , or
Japan Tours Winter 2022/2023
Here are some ideas for fun winter tours in the 2022/2023 season! Enjoy world-class winter sports, delicious seasonal foods, hot spring relaxation, and less crowded tourist spots during Japan’s tourist low season.
Japan Tours Spring 2023
Here are some ideas for fun spring tours in 2023! Enjoy gorgeous cherry blossoms and other flowers in the most popular season to travel to Japan!
Japan Tours Summer 2023
Here are some ideas for fun summer tours in 2023! Enjoy vibrant summer festivals, lush natural surroundings, and beaches plus watersports during Japan’s balmy summer.
Rules for Travel to Japan
Are you traveling before October 11, 2022? Then you still need an ERFS registration through an accredited travel agent. In that case, you can book one of our ERFS-friendly self-guided tours below:
Here are the steps to take for an ERFS-friendly tour. If you travel after October 11th, you can follow steps 3-6.
1. Once you have informed your schedule with us and need to discuss it, then if we agree, we can apply for your ERFS registration. For this, we need a copy/scan of all passengers’ passports, every traveler’s email address, and your exact travel itinerary. Please provide these upon booking. We will then proceed to register passengers’ information into the system, after which we can get the ERFS certificate that is necessary for your VISA application.
2. We will send you the ERFS certificate by e-mail and you will have to go to the Japanese embassy with this document to get your Japan tourist visa. Please note that it can take some time to receive your visa, so it is wise to book your trip at least several weeks into the future to make sure the embassy has enough time to process your visa application.
3. It is finally time to fly! A negative PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to departure is no longer required to enter Japan if you are triple vaccinated. There is also no test or quarantine upon arrival if you are triple vaccinated. If you are not triple vaccinated, the Japanese government still requires a negative PCR test result that is no older than 72 hours upon arrival in Japan which should be in the following format:
4. Before departure, please download the My SOS app to your phone and register into the system by answering the questionnaire to significantly cut your waiting time at the airport.
5. In Japan, people are still wearing masks everywhere, so we ask tourists to do the same. We will share documents with you that outline good mask-wearing etiquette.
6. It is strongly advised to buy travel insurance that covers your medical costs in case you catch Covid-19 during your travel in Japan. You can buy insurance before departure or upon arrival.
Your Japan Tour
As seasoned Japan experts, we can help you create your perfect Japan tour once the borders of Japan reopen for tourists. Contact us to start planning your unforgettable holiday to this fascinating country full of once-in-a-lifetime experiences, culture, history, nature, and delicious food!
Last updated: October 2022